File copying using the File Manager loses file structure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• File copying using the File Manager loses file structure

Basically when ever I use the File Manager to copy a directory structure, the result is a flat structure with all file dumped in the root. This causes sites to break!

I know this has been reported before, and I am wondering when it might be fixed? Its a shame because the File Manager really is a brilliant tool to have!

This has been going on for years. The way that I get around it is to compress the files and decompress them at the location that I want. The file structure remains in tacked.

Comment

Good idea iads! That would save me downloading them via FTP and back up again!!

Comment

Its still something that needs fixing especially after "years" lol

Comment

What exactly do you do/click? I assume that if you have a site in domain1.com folder, you select all its content and then click on Copy and select domain2.com folder?

What you can try instead is to be direct in the www/ folder, then select domain1.com (do not double-click to open it), click on Copy and select domain2.com . The content of domain1.com will be copied to domain2.com and the folder structure will be preserved.

The same thing should work for a subfolder - if you want to move the content of domain1.com/something to domain2.com , open domain1.com and select /something, do not open /something to select its content.

Please try it on your end and let me know if it works. I just tested with a WP site.

Comment

well I was copying a folder to a sub-domain ie mydomain.co.uk/wordpress to wordpress.mydomain.co.uk and all the files/folders appeared in the wordpress folder in a flat structure

so mydomain.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/themes
            became just wordpress.mydomain.co.uk/themes where it should be inside the wp-content folder

Comment

Try to open mydomain.co.uk and select "wordpress" (don't open it), then click on Copy and select wordpress.mydomain.co.uk, this should do it. I just tested that with domain/wordpress, copying to subdomain.domain

Comment

I dont know how to replicate it, if its random or some kind of pattern, but there is definitely a problem when copying files in directories.

Comment

I run some tests of my own and was able to replicate the problem, please see ticket number 1472282.

Hope we can get to the bottom of it!

Comment

Just saw the ticket. Do not select the folders and files, as you have done. Instead, select to copy the "shop" folder.

Comment

To me that is very counter intuitive. Is there a technical reason for this behaviour?

Comment

I agree about that and I talked to one of our developers. He said he would look into changing the way copying folders works and very soon you should be able to copy the way you do it wiothout losing the folder structure.

Comment

See this is why I love RSP, you guys take on board our suggestions and bend over backwards to help!

Thanks RSP

Comment

Working...
                          X