Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 1 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 2 Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in .../vb5/route/profile.php on line 74 A fresh idea and a new beginning - ResellersPanel Discussion

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fresh idea and a new beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fresh idea and a new beginning

Ok, first of all I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this idea but I'm gonna give it a shot and if you guys feel the need to move it go ahead.

Let me first give you a little background on me so you know where I am coming from with this idea. I work as a Junior Systems Admin for a very large webhosting company here in the states, we currently have roughly 100,000 customers it's a good job and pays well. However, it doesn't pay enough and I am currently trying to start a company of my own and RSP is what I have decided to use for the hosting portion of my business. Let me also say that RSP's actual hosting and tech support is far supierior to the hosting company that I work for and I know this because I started in tech support and got promoted to my current position - so way to go RSP. Now that you know a little about me let me explain my idea.

I know may resellers here at RSP are successful but there is one thing that seems to keep a lot of people from being as successful as they could be. That one thing is competition. The resellers here at RSP are basically the "David's" of the world up agianst guys like GoDaddy.com who are the "Goliath's" in the hosting industry. In my opinion (and it should be worth something since I do consider myself an industry insider to an extent) RSP has supierior customer support, pricing, reliability and better actual equipment than most hosts. RSP has provided us with all the tools to be successful except one - advertising dollars. Most very large web-hosts pay for their customers through advertising in such a way that the "David's" can't compete. For example I can compete with any major host out there with what RSP has given me in terms of pricing and tech-support and the such but I can't get the same amount of traffic the other hosts get because I don't have the coin to pay for it. Well this is where my idea comes in.

Many of the successfuly hosts here at RSP find niche markets to advertise too which is a double edged sword. The advertising is no where near as expensive but they are limiting themselves in the number of potential customers they can attain. So, my idea is this, what if the resellers here at RSP were to somehow band together behind a single site where by we could all share in the advertising expenses and also share in the profits as well? I don't have enough firm numbers to graphically represent exactly how I think this would work so I will give the best example that I can.

The best example that I can think of is a mutual fund. A bunch of people pull what money they have together to buy stocks, the stocks are purchased and over time the individual is the winner while the risk is also very low. I am looking to do something similar here at RSP. We (RSP resellers) build a single site but we pull together our advertising money and expertise to make a profit and then the profit gets split between all the "investors". This enables us to take very little risk individually but over time the returns could be huge!

Of course something like this would need several different people to do several different things. We would need people to help design the site (the templates just won't do for something like this), we would need honest individuals to track and handle the money so everybody gets a proportianate amount of the profit compared to what they invested. And obviously we would need people that know how to advertise and where.

This is an idea that I think could be hugely successful if done right and what I am looking for is others that might be interested in giving this a shot with me. So, now after that very long winded post let me hear your suggestions and thoughts and lets see if this is something that we can do!

I'm ready on this. Instead of starting a new site, I would say that we should go for re-innovating the old website. This can help us building our trust on the consumers of our hosting.

Comment

Hello,

Sounds like a good idea. I fully agree that if we had some cash to market and played on the excellent customer support we'd have a very good chance of being a successful provider. Defiantly would consider doing this.

Instead of starting a new site, I would say that we should go for re-innovating the old website.
      Whose site would we re-innovate though? Think this would lead to a few arguments.

Comment

I've seen a few sites do similar. What they do is chip in for advertising. They have one web site that they advertise then they have their individual sites. The main site is used as a gateway, it splits the signups evenly so everyone gets a fair amount of business. But, the thing is, everyones prices are the same, so the group has to agree on a price. All the main site really does is swap order forms. One for owner A, one for owner B and another for owner C. So with each new signup or visit, owner A, B or C's signup form is displayed. Quite a unique idea I think. So really its just one big partnership that shares equal responsibility and stock in the market they chose. And each spends very little in advertising their service.

For a program like this, you could probably set something up like a banner exchange. each person involved could be setup with an account and the exchange could be set to 1/1 ratio. Its kinda luck of the draw on who gets a sale but everyone still would have an equal chance.
        Last edited by Guest; 31-01-2007, 12:44 AM.

Comment

I would possibly let my ***************.com domain be used, and I could arrange for a great design....we could even use my reseller account (3 clients, 31 affiliates)...just a thought.

Comment

...in fact, I'd love to take on more of a "big picture" role and be less involved in the day-to-day details of running a Web host. I already have the "corporate address" and established brand (aired on WHIR TV before, and I write for Ping!Zine, HostReview.com, etc). I would want to retain ownership of the domain, and access to the reseller account (to manage the clients I have now), but other than that, I'd love to take on a marketing role. So if we can get this off the ground, it's a possibility for me.

Comment

I probably couldn't do this. I could never stand having to compromise with somebody else (I feel I am agreeing to do a halfbad job), especially with business when money is involved. However I have a lot of great advertising markets. I would be glad to help in anyway possible, maybe as a service provider (ie advertising), rather then as an owner

Good luck .

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys I think this is something we can really do. The reason I think we should get a new domain name and a new site is to avoid any problems within the group about who's site to use or anything else. So, anyone who is interested in this PM and once I have the grp together we can all get together and discuss the specifics! DON"T FORGET TO PM IF YOUR INTERESTED IN ANY ASPECT OF THIS OPPROTUNITY!

Comment

I think this would work, but one other "spin" on it would be that if everyone who puts equal amounts into it (it should be a standalone thing) get equal amounts out. It would then give those people the "coin" as ashuva put it to help advertise their own businesses, thus allowing them to make even more.

That's my two cents at any rate.

Comment

For the handling of money you should probably pick someone who has enough experience in accounting. That way you could easily get some spreadsheets going so people can check out that everything is legit(check what the money guy says is right against the resellers account).
                    Or you could try like adam was talking about with a script that switched out your order forms so everyone gets an equal share of sign ups. It wouldn't be 100% equal especially to begin with but as time goes on it would probably even out.
                    I would say API would be better though, and have someone dish out money via paypal or something.

Anyway gl.

Comment

PM sent

Comment

"I think this would work, but one other "spin" on it would be that if everyone who puts equal amounts into it (it should be a standalone thing) get equal amounts out. It would then give those people the "coin" as ashuva put it to help advertise their own businesses, thus allowing them to make even more.

That's my two cents at any rate."

I totally agree everybody that puts in should get a proportionate amount to what they put in. I mean if say for example 10 people do this and each one puts in $10 thats a total of $100 with each person contributing 10%. So if we made say $200 then each person would get $20 or 10%.

YWS your are 100% correct we would need a way to track all of this info so any of us can check it at any time and make sure that it is legit and that everybody is getting what they are supposed too. I am sure that we are all honest people here but since we are working across the internet we would need a way to track that info......and yes I agree that money would need to be deposited through pay pal or some such system.

Anyway still looking for idea's on how we can accomplish this and what people can do to help. Right now I cam just trying to get everybody organized so PM ME!

Comment

Hi,
                          Although I personally have my own vision concerning RSP potentials.
                          I would like to offer an outsider view on this if I may. Please consider
                          this my humble attempt to simply wish you the best. I would strongly
                          consider establishing a certain percentage of your returns to going
                          straight back into the company. I also think that the key to this
                          joint venture is equality. Each participate should equally contibute
                          and thus equally reap the fruits of success. This would establish a firm
                          foundation of trust in which solid companies are built. In saying this
                          you must consider that RSP also plays an important part, although they
                          may be somewhat a silent contributor they are truly the backbone of this
                          venture. I would strongly suggest offering a certain percentage of your
                          "back into the company percentage" to the folks at RSP. I would not seem
                          to speak for those at RSP but not only would this be a goodfaith gesture
                          of trust...it may afford you new avenues of success. May God Bless, Doug
                          Last edited by cardiox; 01-02-2007, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Message sent.

I agree with Cardiox, and his was the point that i was trying to get accross (somewhat poorly ). Thanks for articulating what i was trying to say!

Comment

I wonder what RSP's take on this is?

I also wonder about RSP being the "middle" man on this. They could offer it as an 'extra" and they could take from the profits a certain % and pass the rest back to the "investors". Just one more business for RSP to be in. LOL.
                              That's just my "Hmmmm - I wonder what."

Comment

Working...
                              X